Jump in to Life at SJC
You've started thinking about careers. Maybe you're leaning toward a particular area - or two. Perhaps you're researching the possibilities. Or maybe you have no idea what you want to study. Don't worry - you have plenty of company and plenty of time to figure it out.
The major you ultimately select is important, as it determines your career path after graduation. Our distinctive Core curriculum - a nationally acclaimed program that connects knowledge across the disciplines - will ensure your success no matter which major you choose.
Discover Your Passion
Through our Core curriculum, you'll study a variety of topics - history, English, art, science, philosophy, and others - that are combined into 10 courses that start your freshman year and conclude in your senior year. You'll be exposed to new ideas and perspectives that will help you find your passion. You'll consider options from among our many major, minor, and pre-professional programs. They all lead to careers and teach you the skills that employers seek - communication, leadership, teamwork, organization, time management, decision making, and confidence.
We've structured our academic requirements to allow for exploring. You're likely to finish your college career in four years if you declare a major by the end of your sophomore year and complete a prescribed sequence of courses.
Studies show that employers are as interested in your knowledge in a certain area as they are your skills and work experience. A broad liberal arts education - like the one you'll receive at Saint Joseph's College - will more than prepare you for any employer's expectations.
People Who Can Help
Associate Professor of History, Assistant Vice President for Academic Affairs, Dean of Freshmen
Dean of Students & Director of Counseling
At SJC, we give you the best possible start with one-on-one advising starting with Early Registration in the spring and summer before your freshman year. Upon enrollment at SJC, you'll be assigned a freshman advisor who will help you select courses for your first semester and examine potential majors. Your freshman and academic advisors will ensure that you stay on track and meet academic requirements. In addition, you can:
- Learn more about all the opportunities available to you at Saint Joseph's College with a campus visit. A personal visit is the best way to determine if SJC is the college for you. You'll meet faculty members and current students, explore possible majors, and tour our beautiful 180-acre campus.
- Sign up for an Early Registration Day. It encompasses a series of events aimed at introducing you to the SJC experience. You'll attend sessions on such areas as advising, registration, technology and information services, the Core curriculum, financial aid, and graduation requirements. You'll also get the scoop on life at Saint Joseph's directly from current students.
- Acclimate to college life with our Freshman Seminar, which provides information on such areas as academic support, study skills, relationship building, Campus Ministry, and social adjustment. This first semester course also addresses career preparation.
- Take advantage of resources in the SJC Career Development Center. Various tools are available, including a career-interest inventory computer program that matches your interests with potential careers. In addition, counselors will help assess your strengths and skills.
- Get involved in more than 50 student clubs and organizations. Along the way, you'll make some new discoveries about yourself that could help you confirm possible academic or career choices.
Want To Get A Head Start? Click Here
To read the stories of two Pumas who were also finding their way, click here.