Network File Storage
SJC Network File Storage Information
Every student account has access to network file storage through the SJC Network drive or the "N:" drive. You will need to activate this account during Orientation or come into the Computer Center some time during the first week of classes. Once activated, you will be assigned a user name and password that enables you to access our network and the Internet. Your user name will serve as your email address. Your network drive will be accessible to you from any networked computer on campus.
We have a finite number of resources at SJC so we cannot give everyone unlimited network storage. Each student has 200 MB of storage space on our Network File Servers. Our server does a daily check to be certain that students have remained within their allotted quota. If a student exceeds his/her quota, the Computer Center is notified and the student receives an email informing him/her they are over quota and directing them to web sites that offer help on remedying the problem. The student is given 5 days to bring his/her account to within an acceptable range or it will be disabled. Once disabled, the student will need to come to the Computer Center and fix the problem before regaining access to the SJC Network.
Connecting your personal computer to your SJC Network drive:
In the past, students have been able to map their "N" drive directly to their personal computers. Due to heightened security, students are being asked to use a different method to connect to their network file storage. If you would like to connect to your network drive from your personal computer, you will need to use an File Transfer Protocol (FTP) program to access the data you have stored on this drive.
- Start by opening Windows Explorer by clicking on "My Computer". Next choose "Map Network Drive".
- From the next page select "Connect to a Website that you can use to store your documents and pictures"
- The "Add Network Place Wizard" begins. Choose "Next" from the first page. On the following screen click on "Choose a custom network location" and then choose "Next".
- On the following screen, enter the name of the server you wish to connect to. Please enter the following: ftp://ftp.saintjoe.edu
- On the next screen, uncheck "Log on Anonymously" and enter your SJC username and click Next. You do not need to add "@saintjoe.edu" to your user name.
- On the next screen you will be asked to give this connection a name. Type in the following: SJC_Student_Share
- On the next screen check "Open this network place when I click Finish" and click "Finish."
- You will now be asked to enter your SJC password.
Once you have entered your password, you will be connected to your network drive. When you want to access this drive again, you will need to select it from "My Network Places" it will not appear under "My Computer." This is an effective way to access your network drive from on campus. For the safety and security of our network, please do not use this method from off campus.