- Department of Mathematics
- Success Stories
- Faculty Profiles
- Teaching Scholars Program
- Academic Catalog: (Course Descriptions)
Mathematics - The study of patterns of structure, change, and space.
Coming up with infinite solutions for your future? Are you looking for a major that sums it all up?
Fact 1: Mathematics is the language of our technological world and is central to many areas of science, engineering, computing, finance, and industry.
Fact 2: A degree in Mathematics will further develop your analytical, logic, critical-thinking, reasoning, and organizational skills.
Fact 3: Students who major in Mathematics often pursue careers in teaching, insurance, real estate, computers, research, or statistics.
Why Mathematics at SJC?
Preparation: When studying Mathematics at SJC, you'll gain the skills and knowledge you need to pursue graduate school, a teaching career at the middle school or secondary level, or a position in applied mathematics.
- Graduate School: If you're interested in teaching and research at the college level or beyond, the Mathematics major will prepare you to pursue graduate study.
- Education: If you want to be instrumental in educating the Einsteins of the future, consider the Mathematics major with a minor in Secondary Education.
- Applied Mathematics: If you want a career in the fields of business and industry, actuarial science, computing, or scientific research, a major in Mathematics is the perfect fit for you.
Dedication to Excellence: At SJC, we pride ourselves on having facilities comparable to a large university, but with a more personal atmosphere. The Mathematics Department at SJC has high-quality equipment, including Voyager 200 calculators, projection devices, laptop computers, and brand new PCs and we are constantly in search of new technology. SJC students that major in Math and minor in Education have nearly a 100% placement rate in career-related areas of interest.
Hands-on Experience: The faculty members at SJC encourage all of their students to pursue internships. Common internships in the Mathematics Department include the Donaldson Corporation, the National Security Agency, AT&T, and the Teaching Scholars Program. (Success Stories)
Faculty and Class Size: The Mathematics Department at SJC consists of faculty members who hold at least a master's degree or doctorate in their fields of expertise. The average class size ranges between 10 and 15 students. (Faculty Profiles)